Database Support Engineer (M/V) - Utrecht – 32-40 h
Many companies in the Public Transport industry need to work with this data, so the way to access it needs to be efficient, and also secured.
The development teams built the database architecture, and now it is in use also operations teams need to be able to monitor and solve data incidents. In NL more public transport travelers will use the system, what means more and more data needs to be stored, monitored and protected.
In the IT Services Operations team of 10 colleagues, the database support engineer is a new role. In our deployment team in Slovakia is currently working a database expert. We prefer to hire someone in NL so you can work together to manage our databases. You are responsible for the monitoring and backup of our databases: Oracle, Cassandra and Postgress based.
Also fixes and more features will be deployed, that needs to be incorporated into the current databases. You need to support this and also raize ‘the red flag’ if it’s not well covered. The collaboration with Security & Compliance is important, we work with various certifications such as ISO 27001, PCI-DSS, ISAE3402.
Specific tasks for this position are:
- Management of the existing databases in the Oracle Cloud.
- Monitoring databases
- Backups and restores
- Searchability and retrieve data from database
- Automate database tasks further, optimize the performance
- Participate in troubleshooting and escalations from the support departments.
- You will be part of the DevOps team, and also work with database ticket handling.
- Provide input for Security & Compliance.
Challenging work environment
Working in a small international team with short lines of communication characterizes working at Scheidt & Bachmann Netherlands, with the knowledge and experience of a large international organization at your fingertips. We ensure the further development of transaction and data services, and the construction of stable, reliable services. Being demonstrably in control forms the basis for this. With a high degree of automation and development of features in the system.
- The position requires a broad skillset because you work with different technologies in the cloud.
- There is still a lot of room for optimization and developments in the field of database specialism, you work with a recently designed database. Own initiatives are highly appreciated. You know what can be ‘the next step’.
- You work hybrid in a small internationally oriented team, with a lot of commitment and responsibility. An entrepreneurial atmosphere at our office in Utrecht.
- Proactive internal collaboration, also with international colleagues from the German parent organization and the development and operations teams in Slovakia.
- You work with multiple external stakeholders; our largest customer Translink, Oracle Cloud, AWS, Equinex.
With what knowledge and experience is this a challenging position for you?
The required basis is HBO working and thinking level in the field of IT and database engineering.
- Gained at least 3-5 years of experience working with databases.
- Oracle certified/administration or Datastax Cassandra shows your into databases.
- Willing to learn how to automate tasks.
- Reading OS Oracle linux-bash scripting. Create scripting is an option.
- Been independently responsible for the role of database expert/support engineer in 3rd line. Can react quickly withing an hour if the system goes down.
- Experienced in ticket handling, we work with Jira.
- Experience working Agile, contributing in stand-ups.
- Open to learning Devops tools to be able to cooperate with other teams, like Ansible, terraform, git hub and grafana.
- Your ability to plan well and work in a disciplined manner ensures progress and stability.
- You are used to working with diverse work cultures and communicating in English.
What do we have to offer you when you join us?
- Permanent contract
- We pay your pension premium in full, so you will have more net income
- Full-time salary between €5,500 and €6,000 per month
- Desired commitment 32 to 40 hours per week
- Flexible days and working hours typically between 8:00am-6:00pm
- Flexible on call/duty on weekends and nights also occasionally desired
- Working from home is partly possible
- 26 holidays for full-time work
- Reimbursement of travel expenses
- Work laptop and mobile work phone
- Full compensation for development activities
Where you will work
Scheidt & Bachmann Netherlands is a subsidiary of the global company Scheidt & Bachmann GmbH, headquartered in Mönchengladbach, Germany. We are not only developer and manufacturer of Systems for Public Transport, but also for Parking Garages, Railway Security and Petrol Stations.